- Checking in at the Northern Sport Centre
- Fitness Areas
- Use of Fitness Areas
- Track Etiquette
- Youth and Stroller Access Policies
- Compliance with Policies
All members must check in at the front desk. It is there they will scan their personal fob access key before each visit. The Northern Sport Centre uses fob access keys to check in and access specific fitness areas of the facility. This fob is assigned to each member and may be re-used.
Do not share your fob access key as this can result in your access to the facility being suspended.
Non-members must pay the drop-in fee before each visit to the facility. Non-members are not permitted to borrow member fob access keys. Please check into the Front Desk upon arrival.
The Northern Sport Centre follows a four-step warning process for forgotten fob access keys:
- First three visits without a fob access key members will receive a friendly reminder.
- On the fourth visit without a fob access key, a $2.00 fee will be charged.
- Where no fee was applied, reminders are cleared from the member's account after four months.
- The three reminder dates will be cleared from the member's account after a new fob access key is purchased.
Animals (dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, rodents etc...) are not permitted in the facility. Guide and Service dogs are permitted with the appropriate provincial registration documentation.
Below are a few key highlights of our membership parking policy. For more detail, please refer to your membership agreement.
- NSC parking permits are only valid with an active NSC membership.
- NSC parking permits allow for a maximum three (3) hour limit per visit.
- We issue one permit per membership. It is your responsibility to transfer the permit between registered vehicles.
- Permit number must be visible on dash or hanging from rear view mirror to be valid.
- The NSC will not provide temporary parking permits for forgotten permits.
- NSC parking permits are only valid in the NSC parking lots, not at the UNBC campus. However, our facility is a multi-use recreation centre and is busier certain times of the year with our user-group and event bookings. From January to April, NSC members with NSC parking passes may use UNBC Parking Lot A for overflow parking after 5:00pm Monday to Friday. Please provide our Front Desk staff or Security with your license plate number each time you park in overflow and they will pass onto the Parking Office.
There are three secured fitness areas that are only accessible with an authorized fob access key. If your fob is not scanned upon entry, you will not have access to the three secured fitness areas.
Outdoor shoes are NOT permitted in any of the fitness areas. Tracked in water and dirt damages the floors, cardio equipment and creates unnecessary mess throughout the facility.
- Studio 1
- Studio 2
- Zone 3 (Room 14-264) - Strength Room (secured)
- Zone 4 (Room 14-266) - Strength Room (secured)
Track Level (Secured)
- Zone 5 - Ironman Unit, Strength and Cardio Area
- Zone 6 - Spin Bikes, Individual and Group Fitness Area
- Zone 7 (under the clock) - Strength Area, Individual and Group Fitness Area
- Zone 8 - Cardio Area
Equipment is not permitted to be moved into other zones. Staff have set up each zone with sufficient weights, steps, balls and mats to ensure easy access.
Outdoor shoes are NOT permitted in any of the fitness areas.
Return all equipment items to the proper shelves and racks after use.
Please save your texting and messaging for after your workout. Resting between reps is one thing but reading and typing while your fellow member waits to use the machines, weights etc... is disrespectful.
When using the track, please use the following etiquette:
- Walking - use the inside lane
- Jogging - use the middle lane
- Running - use the outside lane
Track Rotation Schedule
- Monday to Wednesday - counter-clockwise
- Thursday to Sunday - clockwise
Youth and Stroller Access with Parent Supervision
Youth and strollers are permitted in the following fitness areas with parent supervision. Youth and strollers must be within arm's reach of parents at all times.
|Strollers, 12 + Under||Ages 13, 14, 15|
|Gymnasium and Fields||Yes||Yes|
|Studio 1 and 2||Yes||Yes|
|Zone 8 - Cardio Only||No||Yes|
|Zones 3 - 7||No||Yes|
Youth Twelve (12) Years of Age or Younger (including strollers)
- Not permitted in any of the Strength or Cardio Areas, Zones 3 - 8 at any time.
- Are permitted in the Gymnasium, Field and Track Surface with a Parent/Guardian. The parent must be within arm's reach at all times.
- Not permitted in the Gymnasium, Field and Track Surface without a Parent/Guardian.
Youth 13 to 15 Years of Age
- Are permitted in the Strength Areas and equipment in Zones 3 - 8; parent/guardian must be within arm's reach at all times.
- Are permitted in the Gymnasium, Field, Track Surface, and Cardio equipment.
- Not permitted in the Strength Areas, Zone 3 - 7 or on equipment without a parent/guardian.
Youth Access without Parent Supervision
Youth ages 13 to 15 and 16 to 18 are permitted to access the following fitness areas without parent supervision as below. A completed and signed Youth Consent Form must be on file.
Download, print and complete the Youth Consent Form available below. Return it to the Northern Sport Centre.
|Ages 13, 14, 15||Ages 16, 17, 18|
|Zone 8 - Cardio only||Yes||Yes|
|Zones 3 to 7||No||Yes|
Failure to comply with the above or any NSC policies will result in:
- 1st offence - warning
- 2nd offence - warning, possible suspension of membership
- 3rd offence - member may have their membership and/or facility access revoked without a refund