- New regulation (approved Sept 2015) states that a time extension will normally be approved for one semester only with the expectation that all outstanding degree requirements are completed within that time period.
- Must be applied for prior to the end of the semester in which the student’s time limit expires.
- 4.2.3 If a degree is not awarded within the specified period following the first registration, the student will be withdrawn from the program.
- Under exceptional circumstances, time extensions may be granted by the Dean of Graduate Programs. NOTE: Such requests for time extension must be made in writing to the Dean of Graduate Programs prior to the end of the semester in which the student’s time limit expires or administrative fee may apply.(see below)
- To be considered for a Time Extension a student must be registered at the time of request
- Please note that if your Time Extension is approved, the time extension fees will take effect.
- Students requesting Time Extensions beyond the maximum time specified in the general regulations of the Graduate Calendar section are required to pay the full-time tuition fee unit applicable to their Program for each semester registered. (MBA: For graduate students enrolled in the MBA Program a Continuation fee will be charged should the period of study extend beyond 5 semesters).
- Students must ensure that no outstanding fees are owed to UNBC from prior registration tuition, library fines etc.
- Students must ensure that Registration forms are given to the Registrar’s Office as per regular requirements.
The following documentation must also be attached:
- A detailed timeline of milestones is to be completed. This is to be written in consultation with your Supervisor (an example is provided on the second page of the form)
- Supporting documentation from your Supervisor noting rational for this request, exceptional circumstances etc.
- Indication of whether or not this is the student’s first Time Extension Request or not
4.2.3 If a degree is not awarded within the specified period following the first registration, the student will be withdrawn from the program. Under exceptional circumstances, time extensions may be granted by the Dean of Graduate Programs. Such requests for time extension must be made in writing to the Dean of Graduate Programs prior to the end of the semester in which the student's time limit expires.
Students who have not exceeded the time limit must do the following:
- Submit a new Application for Admission to Graduate Programs Form and pay the reapplication fee
- Provide a letter to the Graduate Studies Officer stating their rationale for wishing to return to their graduate program
- Provide proof of supervisory support for their reinstatement
Students who have exceeded the time limit period or who have been withdrawn without permission please see Section 2.2.4 (Reapplication)
2.2.4 Reapplication Students who have either a) been withdrawn without permission or b) whose time limit has expired must re-apply to UNBC as new applicants and pay the reapplication fee. If admitted, students must start anew; normal program requirements apply, including time limitations regardless of previously completed coursework accepted (see 4.2.1) and minimum tuition fee units.