Jump to navigation
Note: Request will not be considered when a student’s time limit has expired
- New regulation (approved Sept 2015) requires LOAs to be applied for “prior to the beginning of the leave or in the same academic year if the request is retroactive.”
- In order to process the request, this form must be submitted two weeks before the beginning of the semester for which the leave is requested, or administrative fee may apply (see below).
- Exceptional circumstances will be reviewed if necessary.
- Upon approval, the continuous enrolment requirement will be suspended during the period of leave. Student should contact the representative at the Registrar’s Office prior to the planned semester of re-enrollment
- Progress Report for student still required June 30th (annually) even if on a Leave of Absence (http://www.unbc.ca/graduate-programs/progress-report-requirements)
Leaves of Absence may be requested for the following reasons:
- A limited term of external employment closely related to the program of study
- Health Problems
- Compassionate Grounds or other compelling circumstances
The student’s responsibility to ensure the following prior to making a request:
- No outstanding fees are owing from prior semesters, library fines etc
- No outstanding grade issues
- No outstanding registrations
A student may request a leave of absence for no more than one year in a Masters Program and MUST provide the following documentation.
- Supporting documentation from your supervisor (either email or memo)
- Supporting documentation from your doctor (if you are requesting time extension for medical reasons)