Biosafety I Training (BIOS) is required for students participating in biology lab classes. The online BIOS course is completed through Blackboard at learn.unbc.ca. The BIOS course only needs to be completed once for all lab courses, but it must be completed before the first lab of a course. A decal is placed on the ID cards of students who have completed the course to be presented as proof of completion.
Students enrolled in lab courses that require the BIOS training will automatically be enrolled in the BIOS Blackboard course and will be able to log in on the first day of classes. If the BIOS training is not available to you in Blackboard after the first day of classes (when auto-enrollment occurs), please contact Risk & Safety Management with your name and username at email@example.com to receive access.
- You must complete a quiz which evaluates your understanding of this material. A minimum quiz score of 80% is required to pass and you are permitted three (3) attempts.
- You are required to participate in this program only once; therefore, it is important that you retain your BIOS decal for the duration of your academic program.
- If you pass the quiz with a score of 80% or higher, you will be able to pick up your decal at the Cashiers’ Office after 9:00am the next business day (during their regular office hours).
- If you have passed the quiz and are unable to pick up your decal before your lab, print your quiz results and present it to your Lab Instructor.
- If you did not pass, you can attempt the quiz an additional two times. After three attempts, the quiz will lock, and you will need to contact Risk & Safety Management (safety @unbc.ca).
- If you lose your decal, visit Risk and Safety Management in person with your ID card to request another one.
- More information about Blackboard courses can be found on the learn.unbc.ca portal or the UNBC Blackboard support blog.