Information for faculty and staff

Working remotely

Employee health and safety

Preparing for course-delivery alternatives

Research activities


Research-related travel

Parking fees suspended

Preparing for course-delivery alternatives

Faculty are working with chairs and students to provide alternate modes of delivery. We have some flexibility for small-group activities that are in line with recommendations from the Provincial Health Officer.

Final exams will not be conducted in a face-to-face format. Faculty, Chairs and Deans will work on alternate modes of assessment and communicate with students.

If faculty need assistance regarding virtual delivery, or support for other course-delivery alternatives, the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology (CTLT) is available to provide additional levels of support. If you have any questions, please contact your Program Chair, Dean or Anne Sommerfeld, Director of the CTLT. Unit leads and Chairs should work with faculty to clearly communicate their plans to their students.

Support from the CTLT

As you consider how you will meet the objectives of your course, please reach out to the UNBC Centre for Teaching, Learning, and Technology (CTLT) for assistance using a range of tools and techniques available in

For the week of March 15th, we will prioritize getting class delivery methods established. Further information for considering alternative examination assessments options will be communicated the week of March 23rd.

To receive assistance from the CTLT
  1. Watch for announcements of webinars
  2. Contact us via email. To help us best respond to your inquiries, please contact us at with the name of your course and section in the subject line.

Share your knowledge

Please consider sharing your knowledge in online pedagogies with your faculty colleagues and students who may reach out. If you are unsure of the correct response to these questions, please forward the individual or question directly to the CTLT.

Course shells

Every course this semester has an associated section available in available to students and instructors so you do not need to request a course shell. Should you teach multiple sections of the same course but you would now prefer a unified link for all of the course sections, please contact the CTLT with the relevant information at

Alternate delivery methods

For considerations for alternate delivery methods, please see this checklist of common classroom techniques and associated options in Collaborate is in your course shells and is a powerful tool for interacting with students. Many free apps available on the internet do not meet the FOIPPA for B.C. Please check with CTLT before asking students to use such apps. We may have some better legal solutions.


Checklist of common classroom techniques

Accessible Campus: Accessibility in E-Learning

Power Learning Solutions: Accessibility in Online Teaching and Learning

The Chronicle of Higher Education: Moving Online Now

Exceptional circumstances

Some situations, such as labs and practicums, present a challenge. We do have some flexibility regarding in-person attendance in these cases, based on guidance from public health officials. To facilitate this, faculty can work with Program Chairs, Deans and the Safety and Security office to ensure a safe learning environment for all involved. Faculty must approve their plans for these exceptional circumstances with the Deans.

Research activities

Researchers are encouraged to suspend on-campus operations and to undertake research work that can be done at home (e.g. literature reviews, development of manuscripts).

Researchers who must continue working on campus are required to practice social distancing.

Tri-council grants

There is considerable encouragement from the tri-agencies to continue compensation of research personnel (e.g., students, post-docs, research assistants) where funding is available and activities can be carried out that are consistent with public health authority directives.

The tri-agencies will be communicating in the coming days regarding other measures that will be taken to support institutions, in addition to the extension of grant and other deadlines. At this point NSERC and SSHRC will allow grant funds to cover costs of salaries/stipends of individuals unable to work due to the Covid-19 pandemic, if no other sources are available. However, they have not committed to providing additional funds to cover the work that does not get done.

Essential laboratory work

Essential laboratory work can proceed as long as:

  • Social distancing requirements are followed
  • Research personnel are made aware of hygiene requirements

Compliance should be monitored by supervisors, and should be notified as to who will be working in labs to ensure sufficient supports are provided as the Chemical and Biological Safety Officers are working remotely when they can as well.

Researchers are encouraged to recognize that at short notice the university may have to suspend operations, and to make plans accordingly.

Essential field work

Essential field work may also proceed if transportation can be managed to be in compliance with social distancing requirements. Unfortunately this means research personnel may need to travel in separate vehicles and find ways to maintain the appropriate distance and hygiene.

Expenses related to COVID-19 pandemic

We have been asked by government to track expenses that are directly related to the Covid-19 pandemic (example extra fuel cost for separate research vehicles), therefore when coding for research expenditures, please code these to COV19 in the PROG code.

Hiring research personnel

Given the potential for the campus to fully close except for critical services, if you are in the process of hiring summer students or other research personnel, it is imperative that you inform them that should more strict directives on closing campus, or travel outside the home (for example) be imposed, they may not be able to continue their work, and the position may be terminated.

Please reach out to the Office of Research should you have questions.


There have been no changes to payroll processing. In accordance with the mandate for social distancing and because many are working from home, you can submit your Timesheets, Leave forms, and Additional Hours/Overtime forms by email to Please ensure you are using your UNBC email address to submit approved payroll forms.

Fillable forms for the Timesheet, Leave Form, and Additional Hours/Overtime Form can be downloaded on the pay information forms page.

How can I complete my Hourly Timesheet and submit to Payroll?

Complete the fillable PDF timesheet, email your completed timesheet to your supervisor who can review and forward to with their approval.  The regular biweekly Friday deadline for timesheets has not changed.

Do salaried employees have to submit Timesheets in order to be paid?

No, pay will continue for your regular full time or part time weekly hours.  Additional part time hours or approved overtime hours should be reported on the normal Additional Hours/Overtime form.

How can I submit an Additional Hours/Overtime form to Payroll?

Complete the fillable Additional Hours/Overtime form, email your completed form to your supervisor, who can review and forward to with their approval. 

Note to Budget Holders: Use of the Program Code COV19 is only for hours worked directly related to COVID-19 response activities and is for tracking purposes only.

How do I change or cancel a previously submitted Leave Form?

Under the current circumstances, it is not necessary to complete a new Leave Form, however you may, if you or your supervisor prefer. Alternately, please email your request to your supervisor, who will then forward it to with their approval.

Please include the following:

  • Email Subject: "Change Leave" or "Cancel Leave"
  • In the email message please provide:
    • Type of Leave
    • Original dates of leave
    • If it is a change, provide the new dates

I pay for my parking pass through payroll deduction. Will I have to pay for my parking pass if I am working from home? 

Parking fees have been suspended at the Prince George campus. You will see the deduction codes for Parking on your pay statement but for $0.00. 

What do I do if I need to apply for Employment Insurance?

If you are directly affected by COVID-19 and your employment earnings will be reduced, interrupted or will cease, please send your request for a Record of Employment to with the subject ROE Request. 

Parking fees suspended

We are suspending parking fees at the Prince George campus. Many of our employees now work remotely, and there is an inequity for those employees still coming to the campus. More details to come.