As a public post-secondary institution in British Columbia, UNBC is required to have policies and procedures in place for the periodic review of degree programs and academic services. The Degree Program Reviews Policy and Procedures reflect the University's mandate, mission and values, assess the effectivenes of its programs, services, and responsiveness to student, labour market, and social needs, and contribute to the contiuous improvement of the University.
As a Member of Universities Canada, UNBC is required to have robust degree quality assurance policies and procedures and be in compliance with applicable provincial Ministry quality assurance standards.
The Degree Program Reviews Policy and Procedures support the commitment of the University and its faculty and staff to the quality, accountability, sustainability, and continuous improvement of the degree programs and academic service units. Degree program reviews strengthen the academic rigor of the degree programs and support the vision, mission, and values of UNBC.
Steps Involved in the Degree Program Review Process
I. Initiation and Self-Study
- Initiate and announce Degree Program Review.
- Appoint members to the External Review Committee and develop Terms of Reference for the Committee.
- Complete the Self-Study.
II. External Review
- Visit from External Reviewers.
- Complete and submit External Review of Degree Programs Report to the University.
- Respond to the External Review Report and develop an Action Plan.
- Present Executive Summary, Responses, and Action Plan to SCAAF and Senate upon request or recommendation of the SCAAF (open session).
- Present the Self-Study, Appendices, and External Review of Degree Programs Report to the SCAAF and Senate upon request or recommendation of the SCAAF for information (closed session).
- Post the Executive Summary, Responses, and Action Plan on the Provost and Vice President, Academic website.
- Submit 12, 24, and 32-month Action Plan Progress Reports to the Dean and the Provost and Vice President, Academic
- Submit the 36-month Progress Report to the SCAAF and Senate for information (open session)
- Post the 36-month Action Plan Progress Report to the Provost and Vice President, Academic website
References and Support
- Degree Program Reviews Policy and Procedures (S-201906.19)
- Degree Program Self-Study Template
- Terms of Reference for the External Review Committee Template
- External Review of Degree Program(s) Report Template
- Respones to the External Review of Degree Program(s) Report, Action Plan and Progress Reports Template
If you have any questions about the degree program review process, please contact Teresa Langford at email@example.com. If you have any questions about any completed reviews, please contact Brenda Sitter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Degree Program Review Schedule
Each academic year below can be expanded to view a list of academic units and degree programs under review. Completed degree program reviews will include a link to the documents associated with the review for each academic unit as they become available.