Located in the spectacular landscape of northern British Columbia, UNBC is one of Canada’s best small universities. We have a passion for teaching, discovery, people, the environment, and the north.
UNBC provides outstanding undergraduate and graduate learning opportunities that explore cultures, health, economies, and the environment. As one of BC’s research-intensive universities, we bring the excitement of new knowledge to all of our students, and the outcomes of our teaching and research to the world. In addition to fostering and celebrating academic excellence, UNBC is a welcoming place, with a learning environment that is friendly, inclusive, and supportive.
UNBC is a university both in and for the north, and this mission has instilled a strong sense of ownership, purpose, and adventure among our students, alumni, faculty, staff, and the communities we serve. We are also Canada’s Green University™ , leading the way to a more sustainable future for all.
Message from the President
I am pleased to greet you on behalf of the University of Northern British Columbia. As the University celebrates its 25th anniversary, it is a unique time in our history, a period of reflection, as well as one of anticipation for the next 25 years.
UNBC is a leader and a place of excellence. It is home to an environment that fosters creativity, scholarship, teamwork, innovation, and leadership. ...more >
Message from the Chancellor
It is a great honour for me to have been asked to assume the role of Chancellor of this University. I am a native of Northern British Columbia, having been born and raised in this region of Canada, in Prince Rupert to be precise. I spent the first eighteen years of my life in Northern B.C. and in those years experienced much of what it has to offer. I recall celebrating my fourth birthday in Bella Coola; summer holidays ...more >
Coat of Arms
The University's Coat of Arms comprises several elements. The shield, which is divided into UNBC's colours of green and gold, contains three elements. The open book, which is a traditional symbol of learning, is flanked by two ravens, which are hardy, resident birds of the north, symbols of wisdom in some First Nations traditions, and recognized as amongst the most intelligent of birds by ...more >
'En Cha Huna
UNBC’s motto, from the Dakelh/Carrier Elders, is used to remind us that all people have a voice and a viewpoint. Directly translated as "respecting all forms of life," ‘En Cha Hunà encapsulates the spirit of academic freedom, respect for others, and willingness to recognize different perspectives.
To be a student-centered, research-intensive university, uniquely Northern and personal in character, responsive to the region it serves, of national and international acclaim.
To improve the quality of life in our region, province and world by attaining the highest standards of undergraduate and graduate teaching, learning, and research. To serve our vast region by nurturing relationships and being innovative, resourceful and responsive to student and community needs.
- We excel in our teaching, our research, and our service as well as in the management of the University. We are innovative in all of these efforts. We aspire to the highest standards in all that we do.
- We value our community. We care passionately for the people who make up the UNBC community. We aspire to sustain our culture of mutual respect. We strive to engage students, faculty, and staff in all aspects of university life.
- We value the contribution of indigenous peoples in British Columbia and around the world.
- We are relevant to Northern British Columbia and other like regions in the world. We respond to the needs that arise, according to the talents and resources we have.
- We exercise good governance in the management of the University. In our practices, we aspire to be effective, transparent, and compassionate.