Our Carrier Motto reflects our heart and soul: ‘En cha huná
UNBC’s motto is ‘En cha huná, which translates to “that person also lives” and means respect for all living things in the Dakelh language. This motto encapsulates UNBC’s spirit and the principles of academic freedom, respect for others and the willingness to recognize different perspectives.
Canada's leading destination University, personal in character, that transforms lives and communities in the North and around the world.
To inspire leaders for tomorrow by influencing the world today.
- Experiential learning and discovery
- Inclusiveness and diversity
- Academic Excellence
Our Signature Areas
- Environment and Natural Resources
- First Nations and Indigenous priorities
- Health and Quality of Life
- Northern Community Sustainability and Development
- Innovative and Quality Distributed Delivery Programs
Strategic Priorities & Desired Outcomes
- Enroll 3,504 FTE by 2022/23 while ensuring a diverse talented and engaged student body.
- Increase incoming student class size (head count):
- Undergraduate domestic students by 250
- Graduate domestic students by 50
- Increase International student head count to 800
- Increase Aboriginal student head count to 700
- Improve first-year retention to 80%
- Develop a competitive total compensation framework.
- Develop a comprehensive transition and outreach program for potential graduate students.
- Establish a leadership development strategy for faculty, staff and students.
- Enhance student success.
- Refresh the academic structure to further support innovation, high quality academic programming, and the success of faculty, staff, and students by 2021
- Enhance the Program Quality Assurance (PQA) process for UNBC’s academic programs.
- Enhance the learning experience for International, Aboriginal and Domestic students across the University.
- Strengthen the learning experience for first year students.
- Develop a sustainable program for recovering indirect and direct costs of research to support the Research Action Plan and promote faculty and student success at UNBC
- Develop an integrated funding framework to support graduate thesis research.
- Increase the level of funding for the undergraduate research experience program by 50% over the current level.
- Develop two new industrial research chairs.
- Develop and implement an innovation strategy.
- Ensure resources are allocated to support the strategic priorities.
- Develop a sustainable infrastructure to support the mission.
- Raise $15 Million of contributions through the comprehensive campaign by 2018.
- Develop a capital plan that positions UNBC for future growth and development, and supports faculty and staff success in research and teaching.
- Increase annualized fundraising by $1.0 Million.
- Ensure financial equilibrium by 2021.
- Ensure processes, policies, systems and services are efficient and add value.
- Raise UNBC’s brand regionally, provincially and internationally.
- Increase Government’s awareness of UNBC’s unique challenges and opportunities.