Financial Aid Resources

The Awards and Financial Aid Office helps students obtain funds to finance their UNBC education and provides educational budgeting services. Funds may be obtained from a variety of sources, including: government and bank loans, private, corporate, and public scholarships and bursaries, and UNBC a​wards.

Financial Aid For Canadian Citizens/Permanent Residents

Former Youth in Care - Youth Educational Assistance Fund (YEAF)

The Youth Futures Education Fund (YEAF) provides funds to students who were previously in government care and are attending a post-secondary institution on a tuition waiver to help with living expenses. The application form is completed after a student has a UNBC admission offer, and once the student has registered for courses. There is a portion of the last page of the form that the UNBC Awards and Financial Aid Unit complete to confirm your registration/enrolment at UNBC. We give the form back to the student to submit to StudentAid BC. The student fills out the majority of the form and then brings it to the UNBC Awards and Financial Aid (located within the Office of the Registrar). You can also download the YEAF Application and mail your completed application to:

UNBC – Office of the Registrar
Attn: Awards and Financial Aid Unit
3333 University Way
Prince George, BC
V2N 4Z9

NOTE: Once the student has been approved for this funding, the student is not required to reapply each semester.

What does it cover?

It helps with expenses related to your education, and can be provided for up to four years.  Amounts of up to $5,500 are available for eligible applicants per program year. Students may receive a maximum of four grants.

Graduate Students

Teaching Assistantships

Many graduate students receive all or part of their financial support through Teaching Assistantships. This support requires the graduate student to be involved in instruction and/or marking, and they are not guaranteed to any student. Minimum grade standards must be met, and the awards are made available, in part, in response to instructional needs within Program areas.

Applicants within the College of Science & Management (specifically: Natural Resources & Environmental Studies - NRES Programs, and Mathematical, Computer, Physical, & Molecular Sciences - MCPMS Programs) must submit a Teaching Assistant (TA) Form along with their application materials.  Students already accepted within the above programs must submit a TA Form and apply for a Teaching Assistantship each semester. 

Applicants within the College of Arts, Social & Health Sciences (all other programs) should contact the Graduate Program Chair (or their prospective Supervisor) for their particular program in order to determine if there are Teaching Assistantship positions available and what the application process is.  You can find Program Chair contact information for each program through Graduate Degrees.