Financial Aid Overview

British Columbia Student Assistance Program (full-time students)

Students may borrow money in the form of a government student loan on a promise to repay the loan at a specified time in the future.

Government student loans are available to students who can demonstrate financial need. Therefore, funds are only loaned to students whose financial resources from parents, summer employment, part-time work and other sources do not cover the estimated cost of their education.
Canada Student Loans, a federal program, and British Columbia Student Loans, a provincial program, both provide interest-free loans for full-time students who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

Students may receive grants from two sources: Canada Study Grants (CSG) and/or the Government of British Columbia (BC Grant).  Because CSG grant funding is an integrated part of the British Columbia Student Assistance Program, CSG Grant and/or BC Grant may replace loans. Students will be assessed for grant eligibility when they apply for BC funding.

To be eligible for BC funding, students must be residents of British Columbia as defined by established governmental criteria. Assistance will be provided to eligible students who will be enrolled in a minimum 60% or nine credit hours of a full program of studies each semester, or be enrolled as full-time graduate students.

Application for loans and grants as described above is made through a single application form, available online at or from any college or university. Students may apply for loans before they have been accepted at the educational institution of their choice. In order for funding to be in place at the onset of Fall classes, it is advisable for students to submit their loan application before June 30. Students who apply after that date may not receive their loans until well into the semester and may not qualify for tuition deferments.

Students From Other Provinces
Students from other provinces are required to seek information from their respective provincial student assistance branches.

Government Part-time Loans and Grants

Federal loans are also available for part-time Students. These loans fund only direct educational expenses such as tuition, books, supplies, and childcare while the parent is at school.
Canada Study Grants for High-need Part-time Students assist students who are unable to meet the eligibility requirements of the full-time loans program and whose income falls below a prescribed threshold. Students with dependants who receive a high-need part-time grant may also qualify for additional assistance in the form of a Canada Study Grant for Students with Dependants.

Students must be Canadian citizens residing in a province that issues Canada Student Loans, and be taking between 20 and 59% (less than nine credit hours per semester) of a full course load.

To be eligible for part-time federal or provincial grants, students must apply for a federal part-time loan, as grant eligibility is determined using the federal loan criteria. A single application form for the part-time Canada Loan and/or Canada Study Grants must be submitted to the UNBC Awards and Financial Aid Office for consideration.

If applicable, grant monies will be awarded first, and any remaining unmet need will be met through a federal part-time loan document.

Further information on part-time loans and grants is available from the Awards Financial Aid and Student Employment office.

Canada Study Grants for Students with Disabilities

Federal Canada Study Grants are designed to assist disabled students with exceptional education-related costs associated with certain permanent disabilities and are to be used for the purchase of goods and services which will help the students to access post-secondary education. Technical aids, computer technology, restorative devices, and vehicle modification are examples of eligible goods and services; tuition and books will not be funded under this program. For more information on Canada Study Grants for Students with Disabilities, please contact the UNBC Disabilities Advisor.

Permanent Disability Benefit
The Permanent Disability Benefit is designed to assist students who, because of their disability, are unable to meet the repayment obligations for a Canada Student loan without exceptional hardship. A separate application form must be completed for students who wish to apply for the Permanent Disability Benefit.


Additional information and application forms for federal and provincial student assistance programs as described above are available in the Awards, Financial Aid and Student Employment Centre at UNBC, at any other post-secondary institution in BC, or by contacting the Ministry of Advanced Education, Training and Technology toll-free at 1-800-561-1818. Information can also be obtained by accessing the Ministry's web site at

Loans for US Students
If you are an American Student planning to study at UNBC, you can access financial assistance here.