As part of our commitment as Canada's Green University™, UNBC will be continuing to upgrade and modernize the lighting and control systems at the Prince George campus. Old flourescent fixtures and ballasts will be removed and replaced with high efficiency LEDs. Fixtures with integrated occupancy sensors will be installed in large common areas and individual occupancy sensors will be integrated into office light switches. Controls systems will also ensure lighting is swept off at night when the buildings are unoccupied. This year's upgrades are starting in September 2019 and estimated to take five months to complete.
Many of you may have noticed a change in lighting in your areas! We've been steadily working on the lighting upgrades throughout the Agora and Research Lab. The Agora is roughly 70% complete, and the Research Lab is roughly 90% complete. Work will soon begin in Charles J. McCaffray Hall on both the first floor and in the basement.
The upgrades happen in two phases: (i) lighting and controls install, and (ii) commissioning. If you are experiencing issues shortly after a new install please be patient as we may not have finished commissioning. If you have urgent concerns or are still experiencing issues serveral days after the lighting install, please contact Facilities.
Information about how the new controls work for offices, lecture theatres and research labs can be explored in the PowerPoint link below.
General Lighting Controls Guide
Sep. 30 - Oct. 4, 2019
Work is continuing in the Research Lab 4th floor hallway. North side hallways on 2nd & 3rd floors are complete.
Lighting replacements in the Agora will be starting this week beginning with areas around the Wintergarden.
Sep. 23 - 27, 2019
Work has started on the 4th floor of the Research Lab.
Upgrading the lighting and control systems will result in a number of key benefits:
- Significant energy savings
- Enhanced light levels and quality
- Operational improvements through upgraded controls systems
- Reduced utility costs
- Reduced maintenance and operational costs
- Longer product lifespan
The upgrades are broken up into four separate projects:
- Research Lab - Entire building
- Charles J. McCaffray Hall - Basement and first floor
- Agora - Entire building
- Enhanced Forestry Research Lab - Growth pods and the Teaching Greenhouse on the 4th floor of the Research Lab building
Key details of the upgrades include:
- Installation of 2,810 new fixtures
- Total utility bill savings exceeding $42,500 per year
Total electrical savings of more than 708,000 kilowatt-hours per year:
- Research Lab - 306,600 kWh/year
- Charles J. McCaffray Hall - 105, 750 kWh/year
- Ehanced Forestry Research Lab - 77,200 kWh/year
- Agora - 218, 750 kWh/year
All projects will be completed by February 2020.