- Prince George
Darren B. Karunanithi earned his PhD (2004-2008) in Data Compression and VLSI Design from the National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan, and his MBA (2012-2014) from the National Cheng University as well. He is about to receive his Ph.D. (expected in late 2019) in Management from The Australian National University, Australia. Prior to joining the UNBC, he was on the faculty of Korea University, South Korea, and Feng Chia University, Taiwan. He has also worked as a senior information and communication engineer at SPIC lab, Taiwan. Darren has also worked as a business data analyst and project manager at Technology companies in Taiwan.
Research and Expertise
Darren's research includes both engineering and management. In the engineering field, he has published more than 42 research papers in eminent peer-reviewed outlets, such as IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, IEEE Transactions on Circuit and Systems for Video Technology, IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration, and ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems. In 2012, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) recognized his professional contribution by awarding him the IEEE senior member grade, which is the highest honor and international recognition for engineering professionals. He has also received a National Science Council research grant from the government of Taiwan. In the management field, his work has appeared in journals, such as Journal of Business Ethics, and The Leadership Quarterly. He has also presented his research papers at the Academy of Management (AOM) Meetings. Currently, he is serving as an Executive Committee Member at Academy of Management (AOM)-Organizational Behavior Division. Darren also served as a reviewer and session chair for highly recognized journals and international conferences in both engineering and management fields. His current research interests include leader humility, paradoxical leadership, knowledge hiding, internet of things, and video coding.Research Fields:
- Computer Science
Leadership, Organizational Behaviour, HRM, Information Systems, Video CodingLanguages Spoken:
1. Bharanitharan, K., Chen, Z. X., Bahmannia, S., & Lowe, K. B. (2018). Is leader humility a friend or foe, or both? An attachment theory lens on leader humility and Its contradictory outcomes. Journal of Business Ethics. (FT 50, Impact Factor: 2.3).
2. Bharanitharan, K., Bahmannia, S., Lowe, K. B. Chen, Z. X., & Cui L (2018). Seeing is not believing: Leader humility, hypocrisy and their impact on followers behavior. The Leadership Quarterly (Conditionally Accepted) (ABDC =A*, Impact Factor: 3.0).
1. Bahmannia, S., Bharanitharan K, & Lowe K. B. (2019) “After all, I care: The Dual Effect of Leader Humility on Employees Co-operative Behaviors” in Proceedings of the 79th Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Boston, USA (ACCEPTED for Oral Presentation).
2. Bharanitharan, K, Somayeh, B, and Lowe K.B, “ Yes, I may be bad because I was good: Humble leaders and unethical behaviors” in Proceedings of the Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Chicago, USA, 2018.
3. Somayeh, B Bharanitharan, K, Steven G, and Lowe K.B, “Waterlilies: Does a Follower’s regional feeling negate the humble leader effect?” in Proceedings of the Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Chicago, USA, 2018.
Multimedia Computing and VLSI System Design
1. C.Chang S.Chen, B.W.Chen, W.ji, K.Bharanitharan and. J.Wang “Fixed point computing element design for transcendental functions and primary operations in speech processing.” IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration Systems, pp.1-5, Oct.2015. (SCI) (Impact factor=1.4) (DOI:10.1109/TVLSI.2015.2477312)
2. A.C.Tsai, K.Bharanitharan J.F.Wang, and J.F.Yang, “Efficient search point reduction algorithm and its VLSI design for HDTV H.264/AVC variable block size motion estimation,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 981-988, Jul. 2012 (SCI) (Impact Factor= 1.6) (DOI: 10.1109/TCSVT.2011.2165592)
3. K.Bharanitharan, B.D.Liu, J.F.Yang and W.C. Tsai, “A low complexity detection of discrete cross differences for fast H.264/AVC intra prediction,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 1250–1260, Nov. 2008. (SCI) (Impact Factor= 1.9) (DOI: 10.1109/TMM.2008.2004904)
4. C.H.Peng, P.C.Lin, S,Barma, J.F.Wang, H.Y. Peng, K.Bharanitharan, et al.,, “Low-power Enhanced SoC Design for SMO Learning Core with Tri-layer Bus and Butterfly-path Accelerator,” IET Computers & Digital Techniques , vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 93-100, Jan.2015.(SCI) (Impact Factor= 0.4) (DOI: 10.1049/iet-cdt.2013.0153
Multimedia Signal Processing
1. A.C.Tsai, K.Bharanitharan, J.F.Wang, and J.F.Yang, “Classified multi-filter Up-sampling algorithm for H.264/SVC Encoder,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 20, no.6. pp. 861-869, Jun.2010. (SCI ) ( Impact Factor= 1.6) (DOI: 10.1109/TCSVT.2010.2046052)
2. K.Bharanitharan, B.D.Liu, and J.F.Yang, “Classified region algorithm for fast inter-mode prediction in H.264/AVC Encoder,” EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, vol. 2010, Article ID 150809, NOV. 2010. (SCI) ( Impact Factor= 0.9) (DOI:10.1155/2010/150809)
3. A. Paul, C. Bo-wei, K.Bharanitharan, J.Jeong, and J.F Wang, “Video search and indexing with reinforcement agent for interactive multimedia services”, ACM Transaction on Embedded Computing Systems, , vol. 12, no. 2, Feb.2013 (SCI) ( Impact Factor= 1.3) (DOI:10.1145/2423636.2423643)
4. K. Bharanitharan, J.R. Ding, B.W.Chen and J.F.Wang, “Selective intra block size decision and fast intra mode decision algorithms for H.264/AVC Encoder”, IEICE Information and systems. vol.E95-D, no.11,pp.2720-2723, Nov. 2012 (SCI) ( Impact Factor= 0.3)
5. K.Bharanitharan, A.Paul, Y.C.Giang, and J.F.Wang, “Dynamic reconfigurable computing for Advanced Video Coding,” Journal of Internet Technology (JIT) vol. 11, no.6. pp. 867-873, NOV.2010. (SCI) ( Impact Factor= 0.4)
6. K.Bharanitharan , et al., “Two step regionally focused algorithm for H.264/AVC encoder” IETE Technical Review, April 2013 (Accepted for publication) (SCI) (Impact Factor= 0.7) (DOI: 10.4103/0256-4602.116717)
7. A. Paul, K. Bharanitharan*, and J.F.Wang, “Region similarity based edge detection for motion estimation in H.264/AVC,” IEICE Electronic Express, vol. 7, no. 2, pp.47-52, Jan. 2010 (SCI) (Impact Factor= 0.5)
8. H.C. Tsai, B.W.Chen, K. Bharanitharan, et al., “User-centric incremental learning model od dynamic personal identification for mobile devices”, SPRINGER Multimedia Systems” pp. 1-10, Jul. 2013 (SCI) (Impact Factor= 0.6) (DOI: 10.1007/s00530-013-0328-y)
9. A. Paul, K.Bharanitharan, and J.J.Wu, “Algorithm and architecture for adaptive motion estimation”, IETE Technical Review, vol.30, no. 1. pp. 24-30, Apr.2013.(SCI) (Impact Factor= 0.7) (DOI:10.4103/0256-4602.107336)
1. M.Qian, K.Bharanitharan, and Chin.Chen Chang, “Edge directed automatic control points selection algorithm for image morphing”, IETE Technical Review, (SCI) (Impact Factor= 0.7) (DOI: 10.4103/0256-4602.116723)
2. K. Bharanitharan and J. R. Ding, “Bed status detection system for elder care center,” Journal of the Information, Communication, and Consumer Electronics Technologies (ICL Technology Journal) , vol. 129, no. 9, pp. 69-75, Sept. 2009 (EI).
1. K.Bharanitharan, K.M.lee, J.R. Ding, and T.W. Hou, “Dependable management system for ubiquitous camera array service in elder-care center”, ACM Transaction on Embedded Computing Systems, vol. 12, no. 2, Feb.2013 (SCI) ( Impact Factor= 1.3) (DOI:10.1145/2423636.2423647)
2. A. Paul, S.Ro, and K.Bharanitharan “Interactive Scheduling for Mobile Multimedia Service in M2M Environment, ” SPRINGER Multimedia Tools and Applications (MTAP), pp.1-12, May.2013 (SCI) (Impact Factor= 0.9) (DOI: 10.1007/s11042-013-1490-0)
1. Feng Jiang, K. Bharanitharan, et al “ Game Theory based non reference perceptual quality assessment for stereoscopic images” SPRINGER Journal of Super Computing, vol. 71, no.9, pp.3337-3352, Sept. 2015. (SCI) (Impact Factor = 0.9) (DOI: 10.1007/s11227-015-1412-1)
1. Tu H.N, K.Bharanitharan, and Chin Chen Chang, “ Quadri-Directional Searching Algorithm for Secret Image Sharing Using Meaningful Shadows” Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation, vol. 28, no.2, pp.105-112, Apr. 2015 (SCI) (Impact Factor= 1.4) (DOI: 10.1016/j.jvcir.2015.01.011)
2. M.Q.Qian, K.Bharanitharan, and Chin Chen Chang, “A Proxy User Authentication Protocol Using Image Morphing", The Computer Journal (Oxford) , vol. 7, no.58, pp.1573-1584, Sept. 2014(SCI) (Impact Factor= 0.9) (DOI: 10.1093/comjnl/bxu094)
3. C.H.Lin, K.Bharanitharan, and Chin Chen Chang, “Comments and Proofs to Published Paper- Novel Reversible Robust Watermarking Algorithm Based on a Chaotic System”, International Journal of Network Security, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 273-276, Jul.2014 (EI)
4. F. Li, K.Bharanitharan, et al., “Bi-stretch reversible data hiding algorithm for absolute moment block truncation coding compressed images.” SPRINGER Multimedia Tools and Applications, pp. 1-19, Sept. 2015 (Impact factor: 1.3) (DOI:10.1007/s11042-015-2924-7)
5. M.Q.Qian, K.Bharanitharan, and Chin Chen Chang, “Multi-Round Dynamic Swap Optimization Algorithm for Table Based Information Hiding", IET Image processing,vol.9, no.12, pp. 1073-1082, Dec. 2015 (DOI:10.1049/iet-ipr.2015.0065 )