Lead UNBC is postponed for the 2018-2019 year
Student Life is working on revamping the Lead UNBC Program to come at you for 2019-2020 even bigger and better!
Lead UNBC aims to impart invaluable Leadership qualities to you, the student. These lessons will go on to help you develop your ability to motivate, inspire, and Lead others to work for the betterment of our campus and community. Lead UNBC serves to develop the whole student through experiential learning, collaboration, and personal reflection based on the principles laid out in James Kouzes and Barry Posner's Student Leadership Challenge.
The Student Leadership Challenge
In the Student Leadership Challenge, any student can be a Leader, regardless of age and experience. Learn the Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership that are common in Leaders who make extraordinary things happen. The Student Leadership Challenge is based on 30 years of research by James Kouzes and Barry Posner and is the backbone of Lead UNBC.
- Model the Way - "Clarify your values by finding your voice and affirming shared values"
- Inspire a Shared Vision - "Envision the future by imagining exciting and ennobling possibilities"
- Challenge the Process - "Search for opportunities by seizing the initiative and by looking outward for innovative ways to improve"
- Enable Others to Act - "Foster collaboration by building trust and facilitating relationships"
- Encourage the Heart - "Recognize contributions by showing appreciation for individual excellence"
- Kouzes, J., & Posner, B. (2014). The Student Leadership Challenge. San Francisco: The Leadership Challenge.
- Learn who you are and what you stand for
- Develop your communication skills, event planning techniques, conflict resolution methods and much more
- Make new, important friends
- Enhance your employability
- Improve your public speaking and presentation techniques
- One overnight kick-off retreat
- 6 Workshops: Visioning and Values, Event Planning, Collaboration and Conflict Styles, Communicating Effectively, Diversity, and Care for Self and Others
- 5 student-led discussion groups with the theme of each of the Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership
- Unique volunteer opportunities on campus
- Group Capstone Project
- Final reflection
- Public Presentation
"Lead UNBC was a wonderful experience for me where I was able to learn some life skills and improve my Leadership abilities. I highly recommend joining because there is nothing to lose but much to gain." - Jared T.
"Lead UNBC has helped me step out of my comfort zone and accomplish many goals. I was able to improve my event planning skills as well as gain extensive knowledge on working together with groups of people. I know that I will be able to apply everything I learned in my future endeavours and definitely recommend this program to everyone." - Maryna D.
"Lead UNBC has been a great opportunity and has got me much more involved with the school. I feel like I am more part of the UNBC community now and more connected to life at UNBC. An overall wonderful experience that I recommend to everyone." - Karlee N.