Immigration, Working & Taxes

Whether you are looking for information on how to apply for your study permit, have a question about working in Canada, or need assistance with your health insurance - we are here to help. Please use the following links and resources to assist you.


For assistance with issues related to immigration, please go to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Renewing, restoring or extending your study permit

Designated Learning Institution Number (DLI)

UNBC's DLI number is O19283889692. Please use this number when renewing your study permit, restoring your status, or extending your studies in Canada.

Working in Canada

Many international students wish to work while in Canada. For complete information on working in Canada please go to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

To be able to work in Canada you are required to have a Social Insurance Number (SIN). For information on applying for a SIN so you can work in Canada and have access to government programs and benefits, please visit the Service Canada website.

Canadian Income Tax Return

International students studying and/or working in Canada may need to file a Canadian income tax return. Please visit the Canada Revenue Agency for complete information.

Health Insurance and BC Medical Services Plan (MSP)

UNBC requires that all students have health insurance while studying. All International students will be automatically enrolled in health insurance. This insurance is mandatory for all new international students. Please be aware, even if you already have health insurance you will still be enrolled in this insurance. If you have already purchased insurance, check with your provider about getting a refund, before your coverage begins. 

Mandatory Private Health Insurance

The mandatory private health insurance will last for four (4) months and is $220 CDN. 

For more information on private health insurance coverage, visit

BC Medical Services Plan

In addition, everyone living in British Columbia for greater than six months is required to enroll in the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP).

In some instances students who are here for greater than six (6) months, may continue to purchase private health insurance from UNBC. Please speak with us if this affects you.

For a full overview of BC MSP in PDF format, please download the BC Medical Services Plan.

Learn more about BC MSP: