Join us on February 7 to celebrate being Canada's Green University
On Tuesday, February 7 from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm, come join us in the Winter Garden and the NUSC Event Space for Green Day 2017.
Green Day is the annual day for us to celebrate our achievements as Canada's Green University. Green Day is also about bringing attention to the unsung heroes of sustainable initiatives on campus as well as gathering and generating new ideas for the future.
This year Green Day will feature a wide variety of activities to excite, entertain and inspire.
Decorate a mug to support our Borrow-A-Mug program
In an effort to reduce the use of disposable mugs, Borrow-A-Mug (BAM) provides clean and free mugs for use at all of our retail outlets. This year at Green Day, come decorate a mug that will then be put into circulation with BAM. Maybe one day you will drink coffee or tea out of that very same mug!
Try out some edible insects and explore the future of food
Do you ever wonder what our food system will resemble in the future? On Green Day, Postdoctoral Fellow Aynsley Thielman will be teaching us all about the endless possibilities of edible insects. There will be samples where you won't even know you are eating insects, to ones with a little more crunch for the adventurous.
Schedule of Events
UNBC’s 10th Annual Green Day
Tuesday, February 7, 2017
11:00 am – 2:00 pm
11:00 am Opening Ceremony - Winter Garden
- Welcome from Kyrke Gaudreau, Master of Ceremonies
- Welcome from Lheidli T’enneh
- Welcome from Dr. Daniel Weeks, UNBC President
11:00 am to 2:00 pm All Day Activities - Winter Garden and Hallway
- Mug Shots (Integris)
- Disposable Coffee Cup Display (SGU and BAM)
- Waste Sorting and Trivia (REAPS)
- Dress Your BAM Mugs (NUGSS)
- Edible Insects (Aynsley Thielman)
- Adopt-a-Plant (EFL + BIOL304)
- Cumulative Impacts Research Consortium
- Carbon Neutrality Game (Justin Serpa)
- Green Knowledge Survey (Annie Booth)
- Green cosmetics (Northern Women’s Centre)
- Scavenger Hunt (EESA)
- Upcycling Clothes (PGPIRG and DIY Club)
- Block City (Planning Club)
- Fish and Wildlife Club
- Green Party
- Dried Foods (Ken Wilkening)
- Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions
- Tree Cookies – Aleza Lake Research Forest
- UNBC Beekeeping
- Passive House Display (WIDC)
- Art and Climate Change (Mark Groux)
- The composition of Diluted Bitumen (Margot Mandy)
- Resource Extraction in Northern BC (Sinead Earley)
- Recycling and Waste on Campus (Purchasing)
- Green Art (Si Transken)
- Canada’s Parks and Climate Change (Pam Wright)
- Bus Shelter (LEAD UNBC)
- Energy and Bioenergy at UNBC (Facilities)
- 3D Printing (Two Rivers Art Gallery
- UNBC Forestry Club
- Quesnel River Research Centre
- Waste Not Want Not (Art Fredeen)
- Nechako White Sturgeon Recovery Initiative
- University Farmers Market
Green Day is graciously supported by Integris Credit Union
If you would like to learn more about Green Day, or wish to be involved, pleas email Kyrke Gaudreau at firstname.lastname@example.org or drop by the Green Centre (Room 7-218, right across from Tim Hortons).
We look forward to seeing you on February 7!