The XMAT sequence is an upgrading course that is an excellent stepping stone for anyone who wants to further their math education and has not completed Pre-Calculus 11. XMAT prepares you to enter UNBC MATH 115 Pre-Calculus (an equivalent of Pre-Calculus 12). Specifically, XMAT should be taken by anyone who has taken Foundations Math or Apprenticeship and Workplace Math streams in high school and wishes to enter programs that use mathematical thinking such as nursing, business, economics, geography, physical sciences, and mathematics. The XMAT sequence can be used for credit at UNBC and is an introduction to what a university course is like. The content is used in many university degree programs.
The XMAT Sequence consists of three modules, XMAT 161, 162 & 163, which you can complete in one semester and earn three credits in total. Follow the Course links below to register for your XMAT course.
- Discover subsets of real numbers and find the absolute value of numbers
- Understand graphs of equations, functions and graphs
- Examine linear functions and linear equations
- Solve systems of equations by substitution and elimination
- Create and solve systems of equations in two variables from word problems
- Understand polynomials and solving, rational expressions, LCMs and LCDs, polynomial division and complex rational expressions
- And so much more