Advice for Transitioning Majors

Ascending Should Mountain, M-KMAWe listened to ORTM BSc past and present students' interest in having a stronger focus on conservation while maintaining and building on the practical and experiential part of your studies.

The new Conservation Science and Practice (CSP) degree and Major in Wildland Conservation and Recreation (WCR) is a significant revision from the existing BSc NRM-ORC degree. In the new major we place a firmer focus on conservation and retain focus on conservation landscapes such as parks, protected areas, Indigenous and Community Conserved Areas and other similar designations and options. We explore the relationship to human well-being through the connections afforded by wildland recreation, culture and health and well-being that comes from being in these environments.

We focus on everything from systematic conservation planning and the design of networks and individual protected areas; to policy, planning and management issues for protected areas; to wildland recreation and related opportunities and economies; to connectivity and connections to preserve biodiversity and across the broader landscape. We are interested in how to better connect people with the environment, to help preserve biological diversity and to develop more sustainable forms of recreation.

The WCR major most closely resembles the natural science specialty under the existing ORC degree. If you are already an ORC student you have several options.

  • If you are in your upper levels of study you should continue under the existing ORC curriculum but you may be able and interested in taking advantage of one of the new upper (or lower) level courses as electives or if a substitution is needed in your core requirements given a change in offering/timing.
  • If you are in your lower levels of study you can choose to continue with the existing ORC curriculum or switch over to the new WCR curriculum. Your academic advisor will be best able to tell you which option makes the most sense. 

Either way, there are a few new courses that have been created and a few existing ORTM courses (ORTM 412 and 310) that are no longer offered. Your academic advisor will tell you what the approved substitutions are to help you finish your degree without any bumps along the trail.