Interested in learning more about the UNBC Co-op program?
Please choose from a topic below or you connect with us to learn more!
As defined by Co-operative Education and Work-Integrated Learning Canada (CEWIL Canada), a co-op program is an educational model that “formally integrates a student's academic studies with work experience.”
In co-op programs, students usually alternate academic terms with co-op work terms so that they can take what they’ve learned and put it in action and bring their co-op work term experiences back into the classroom, enriching communities across campus.
Hiring a co-op student gives employers the opportunity to:
- engage with new talent to assist with organization growth or day-to-day tasks,
- mentor the next generation,
- reduce future recruitment costs, and
- provide feedback on UNBC programming and collaborate with various faculties and departments.
When you hire a UNBC Co-op student, you are hiring a student who is:
- enrolled full-time in an undergradate Applied Sciences, Arts, Commerce, Health Sciences, Planning, or Sciences degree program,
- maintaining at least a 2.50 GPA,
- completing at least a year of study before a first co-op work term,
- attending pre-employment workshops and training, and
- setting learning objectives and reflecting on co-op work terms to further learning.
UNBC Co-op students are looking to complete at least three, full-time co-op work terms prior to graduation. Ideally students gain quality work experience by engaging with various employers throughout their co-op journey.
A typical co-op work term is full-time work for four months and terms available model our academic semesters, e.g.,
- May semester: May - August
- September semester: September - December
- January semester: January - April
There is also the possibility for eight month long co-op work terms (whether they start out as such, or grow into that), and parallel co-op work terms, where students work part-time for eight months while enrolled in a few courses.
A typical journey through the UNBC Co-op program is reflected in the timeline below. However, keep in mind that UNBC Co-op students can participate in co-op work terms during September and January semesters as well. Our office is also able to accomodate your hiring timelines and needs so please do not hesitate to reach out should you have any questions.
If you are interested in hiring a student, please contact the UNBC Co-op office to inquire about the hire or have your position posted on the secure UNBC Co-op job board.
Only UNBC Co-op students will have access to the UNBC Co-op job board. However, if you have a position that you would like posted in multiple places, e.g., the secure UNBC Co-op job board and the UNBC Career Centre job postings board, please let us know.
Students receiving competitive and fair wages for their co-op work terms is integral to the UNBC Co-op program.
Please stay tuned for a comprehensive guide to funding options that employers can access to ensure they are able to compensate their student(s) accordingly.
Interested in learning more? Have a particular job or project you'd like to hire for?