- Produce an inventory of prior academic plans and related reports for use by the APC.
- Establish thematic collaborative teams and perform scans of trends and directions pertaining to the academic environment in the North.
- Assess, and where needed gather, existing data on enrolments, recruitment, admissions, and retention, academic and staff renewal, student engagement, student experience and pedagogy, academic structures, and other areas identified through community engagement.
- Develop a draft framework based on the thematic work of the collaborative teams and conduct a comprehensive community engagement on the same.
- Work with the UNBC community and external stakeholders to identify broad strategic goals that can be used to guide a robust long-term academic planning exercise.
- Finalize the framework document in light of the input received from the community engagement and develop recommendations for submission to Senate that will identify academic goals and a university-wide academic planning process that will help achieve those goals.
Please note the following links are only accessible internally via SharePoint at UNBC.
- Academic Planning Committee
- Faculty Renewal and Development Collaborative Team
- Academic Structure Collaborative Team
- Academic Administrative Organization Collaborative Team
- Enrolment Initiatives Planning Collaborative Team
- Student Experience and Pedagogy Collaborative Team
Principles and Values to Guide the Academic Planning Committee's Work
Transparency and Authenticity: The Academic Planning Committee will be open, authentic, and accountable in all its engagements, including the university community, external stakeholders, and each other.
Collaboration: The Academic Planning Committee will work cooperatively, and share information and its strategies for meeting its terms of reference.
Engagement: The Academic Planning Committee will invite and encourage the university community and external stakeholders to participate in the planning process, and ensure that it listens and hears all voices.
Diversity: Effective planning requires diversity of opinion. The Academic Planning Committee will ensure that a spectrum of diverse opportunities for participation is made available to the university community and external stakeholders.
Timeliness: The Academic Planning Committee will develop accurate and timely information to fulfill its primary goal of constructing a framework that will guide the next phase of the academic planning.
Forward Looking: The Academic Planning Committee will focus on what is important to forge a vibrant future for UNBC by building on strength (talent, experience, and positive values form the fabric of our university); preserving our integrity (performing appropriate evaluative work and understanding the strengths, threats, opportunities and weaknesses); and creating high-value opportunities for growth (supporting innovation).
Outcome-based: The Academic Planning Committee will focus its attention on what is essential for UNBC’s students to be successful and our community to thrive in an organizational model that is effective and supportive.