Prince George, BC – The University of Northern British Columbia recognized 11 student athletes Monday who excelled both in the classroom and in their respective sport.
The annual U Sports (formerly known as CIS) Academic All-Canadian ceremony honours students who have achieved a Grade Point Average of 3.67 (an A- letter grade) or higher in their coursework.
All 11 UNBC Timberwolves recipients did better than that. They received a cumulative GPA of 3.7 or higher while competing for the Timberwolves in 2015-16.
“Our Academic All-Canadians and all of our student athletes continue to be ambassadors and leaders representing the University in Prince George, and Northern B.C. locally, regionally, nationally and internationally,” said UNBC President Dr. Daniel Weeks. “Their dedication to their sport and academics is outstanding.”
With a B+ average, the women’s soccer team won the second annual Office of the Provost Academic Achievement Award, that’s given to the Timberwolves varsity team with the highest GPA during the 2015-16 season. This is the second year in a row that the women’s soccer team has won this award. The men’s soccer team was the runner up with a B average for their active roster.
“The UNBC Athletics department appreciates the support of the Office of Finance and Business Operations and the Vice President Academic and Provost office for providing the funding for our peer tutor leaders for each varsity team,” said Loralyn Murdoch, UNBC Director of Athletics/Recreation. “Our peer tutor leaders are showing progress in helping athletes and teams improve their overall GPA.”
The full list of Academic All-Canadians is as follows:
- Saje Gosal, Men’s Basketball, Political Science
- Jasprit Nijjar, Women’s Basketball, Biomedical Studies
- Clay Kiiskila, Men’s Soccer, Biomedical Studies
- Ashley Anderson, Women’s Soccer, Biomedical Studies
- Tanya Grob, Women’s Soccer, Biomedical Studies (graduated)
- Fiona Raymond, Women’s Soccer, Biology
- Madeline Doucette, Women’s Soccer, Biomedical Studies
- Jesse Rake, Men’s Soccer, Biochemistry/Molecular Biology
- Francesco Bartolillo, Men’s Soccer, Marketing
- Haydn Molcak, Men’s Basketball, Biochemistry/Molecular Biology
- Jordan Hall, Women’s Soccer, Political Science (graduated)