Environmental and sustainability education is at the core of our mission. Coursework with environmental content is present in almost every academic program at UNBC. The proportion of students enrolled in one of the 21 academic programs which have a focus on sustainability at UNBC is about 20 times that of the national average. The Sustainability Tracking Assessment and Rating System (STARS) lists 202 courses with sustainability content at UNBC.
Some Green Teaching Projects:
"Green Teaching" Workshops
- A "green teaching" workshop was held during the UNBC Teaching and Learning conference (September 2010).
- UNBC faculty, staff and students attended training at Sustainability Education Across the Province (SEAP) workshops in May 2010 and 2011.
- UNBC held a SEAP transforamative education workshop October 2012.
Assessing Green Teaching at UNBC
- In order to better assess sustainability related teaching at UNBC, a Green Teaching Sub-Committee was created in May 2011. This sub-committee compiled a list of sustainability focused and related courses, primarily for the Sustainability Tracking Assessment and Rating System report.
- 31 faculty participate in the goBeyond climate change teaching program, in which faculty dedicate a portion of their class time to talk about climate change.